Thursday, September 16, 2010

being strong . . .

feels lik a vaccum inside..
want to cry my heart out...
feel lik goin deep down the ocean
and burrying the part of me which is dead,
and come out from where the sun touches the 
ocean waters....

 

BEING STRONG


“that bitch ! that fucking bitch “ he shouted  , ramming the palm on the table , shaking the glasses , as he picked up the bottle of whiskey to pour another hard for him , he gulped it in one shot , squinted as it went down his throat and looked at me again , this time a little more drunk than before  , as I sat in front of him , worried and restless .

We have shared many drinks together in the past , through our thick and thins , I had seen the monster inside him and I had seen the child too .
But today I was going to witness something totally different , I was scared for him ,scared for myself , and scared for her .
“Still an hour to go for the reception , we‘ll leave a little late . “ he informed , and waved his hand to the waiter to order more booze .
I was still finishing my peg , as I saw him gulping one shot after another . My worries kept me from drinking that day , I was the only one who could hold him at that moment , when he was about to fall , deep inside he knew this too  , he knew I would come for him , I would even go down with him to protect him , and he always used  me…

The waiter brought more booze , he flung open the  cap and poured more , “ you know , she said that she would not be able to fall in love with anyone else now … but “….
“that bitch ! , that fucking bitch “ he shouted again , this time all other tables stared at us ,
embarrassed I asked him to keep it low . “fuck , what ? “ he roared again . I realized it was not going to be of any use , so I finished my peg , pushed the glass towards him , and asked him to fill more , I realized being equally drunk was the only way to save my face in the bar .
Drunk as hell , he walked out of the bar , I followed him , his walk was telling the whole tale , as passers by stared at both of us .
He stopped a rickshaw , told him the address and asked me to hurry up the steps  ,
I climbed up , and sat  , he rested his head on my shoulder and began in slow voice “ why does it happen to me ? , why is it always me  ?”…”whyyy “ he screamed again , the driver looked back in surprise , realized we were drunk and turned back . I had tried every fucking word in my dictionary to console him ,to reassure him , I had to say something.” it happens  dude…to all of us…..chill , “…I couldn’t think of anything more than that   , found myself at complete lost of words  , so I stared at the road as the rickshaw moved on the wet road which sparkled with reflections of street lights and the signboards .

The rickshaw had stopped , the long line of cars , women sparkling with heavy jwellery , and neatly dressed people indicated we had reached the destination .the entrance was decorated with big bright yellow-red flowers , and small bright bulbs , which would switch on and off following the rhythm of the music that played inside.
I found the bulbs too bright , too irritating for my eyes which were half closed by now.

“twenty five “ , said the rickshaw driver , I handed him the money , and realized  , he was already on the gates , making his way through the crowd into the hall.
I rushed behind him , caught his hand , pulled him in the side , “relax” I said looking into his eyes , he nodded , I could feel the thick drop of tear in his eye ,
 to see a tear in someone’s eye is different , but to feel it  , is friendship , I felt weak , I wanted to tell him that I would not be able to support him today , I needed something to lean over , today i needed support.



He pointed his finger to the stage and said,”there “ , “there she is” ,”and that asshole “.
He had started walking in quick steps, I followed him , he stopped   , I could see that their eyes had met  , I noticed the pensive and nervous expression on her face ,  trying to smile , as she greeted her guests on stage .
I realized he had read what I had failed to observe, he turned back , I saw her face , her eyes were searching for him , he came to me , “take me out of here “ , we turned our backs to the stage , started walking .
He had been strong , he had held his poise , it was something new , I felt proud of him , I smiled inside , I knew he will be able to bounce back to life.

As we were crossing the entrance against the flow of people, I realized he wasn’t with me any longer , I stopped , looked back and found him standing next to her , she was holding the ends of  his fingers , she looked at me and  smiled . I realised he was  smiling too , it was the child inside him , the same child she had fallen in love with . I finally felt at peace.
I realized she had come down from the stage to see him again.
“ I want you guys to meet someone, “ she said…as we made our way to the stage….

No comments:

Post a Comment