Tuesday, November 30, 2010

the Tortoise and the Rabbit...

Friends just rock your world.

The tortoise and the rabbit …

The Tortoise had been practicing hard for the race . Every morning he would get up early and head straight to the beach , where he would spend endless hours working and training himself for the race he had challenged the Rabbit for .

Everyone in the town thought that the Tortoise had gone crazy , it was pretty clear that the Tortoise was no match for the Rabbit who could cover miles in his leaps .
But a commitment made , was a commitment made , and even though the Tortoise knew that he stood almost no chances of winning against the Rabbit he still wanted to respect  his words .

The Rabbit used to train for the race too , though he knew that the race was not that tough for him , he still had not taken it as a joke .
But deep inside he was worried for his friend , the Tortoise . He did think of calling the race off , but it could come as an insult for his friend .
He was in a dilemma , he didn’t want to loose to a Tortoise and he definitely , couldn’t see his friend loosing and being mocked at later .

“they all make fun of him in the school , ma . “ said the Rabbit to his mother sad and worried , “and even though he understands everything I say to him , I just don’t know how to tell him “ .

The Rabbit and the Tortoise were great friends , even though they different still they were totally alike .
Rabbit was a popular kid in his school . He was liked by the females , his friends thought he was cool and his teachers were proud of him , but life was a little different for the Tortoise , he wasn’t among the popular crowd , people used to mock him and make fun of him . He was considered the worst student and the laziest athlete .
All this while , he had his friend, the Rabbit to take care of him.
But life doesn’t let anyone rest in peace , things were going to be different now .

It was the night before the race , and like always , the Rabbit headed to the Tortoise’s house to have a small chit chat and to ask how prepared he was . He went straight to the window looking into Tortoise’s room .
Like always it was half open , but this night , the Tortoise wasn’t expecting him .

The Rabbit , stood up on the stool to reach the window, so that he could speak to his friend. He saw the Tortoise praying to the God . And so, as always , he waited him to complete his prayers,  listening to the innocent talk his friend had with the almighty .

‘ hey God . A million thanx for the day . I really don’t have much to share tonight , you know everything !! …You know , how hard I have worked for tomorrow’s race  . I know I don’t stand a chance in front of him , and I know it was totally immature of me to challenge him .
It has been so hard on him , I know he is running only because he respects me , he loves me . Thanx a lot for sending a friend like him, to a loser like me .

I know I will not win the race tomorrow , but please give me the courage to finish it , and please give me the courage to stay without my only friend , it’s all my fault…

I have always asked you to make me popular among everyone , but tonight I want you to listen to my prayer and forget what all I have asked for till now , I don’t want to be popular , I don’t want to be liked ... I just want some courage from you…Amen .’

The rabbit stepped down from the stool and walked his way to his house .

It was a clear morning and the crowd had gathered near the arena . The judges explained the rules to both the participants and gave a map of the route .
The Rabbit  wished the Tortoise luck and shook his hand with a smile .
The judge fired the bullet and the race started .
As expected , the Rabbit leaped swiftly with an amazing start .Well for the Tortoise , he had a steady start , but not fast enough to be considered quick . People had started laughing and mocking . But he kept himself strong he went on with what he had decided , he was determined .

The rabbit had reached very far , he looked back , there was no sign of the Tortoise , he felt sad for him . He was disappointed with the turn of events , he walked to the nearest tree and sat under it remembering the past days of fun and joy , he realized things would never be the same between both of them .
The Rabbit was still sitting under the tree when he saw the Tortoise , tired and sweaty , still walking .
He hid himself behind the tree . A few moments later the Tortoise passed the tree , the Rabbit was pleased and felt great .
“go my friend !go Tortoise”, he said , soft enough that none else could hear , but him. He felt proud of his friend .

He lay himself under the tree , happy and smiling .

The tortoise not just won the race , but also the reputation he longed for among people . He became popular among all the females and all inmates of the school , his stories were told far and wide .
The Rabbit on the other hand lost everything , he was loathed over by everyone for his arrogance and overconfidence , he was no longer popular and his shame was the talk of the town , but little did he care, coz God had listened to all the prayers of his friend and the best of all , ‘ they were still friends ’ …


2 comments:

  1. I know two things for sure. One you better start keeping these stories in a good form - whether as hard copies or as soft ones and get a publisher to publish them. The second thing is related to first. If you don't do that, then I am going to kill you 'cos my children would want to know their 'mama' as a story writer, teller and the one who gives a different perspective to those stories which are so prejudiced and stereotypical.
    After all that threat, a extremely good one bro, I became a 5 year old girl who is listening to this story for the first time.

    ReplyDelete